Northern Ireland Pedestrian Fatality Report 2014
The Northern Ireland Pedestrian Fatality Report 2014 is an examination of n.55 collision scene reports of pedestrian fatalities from Senior Scientific Officers of the Road Traffic Collision Investigation Unit, Forensic Science, Northern Ireland (FSNI).
Road Traffic Collision research from numerous countries highlights that driver visibility during darkness, elderly and intoxicated pedestrians have a common theme which is cognitive impairment.
The report “Northern Ireland Pedestrian Fatality Report 2014″ indicates that cognitive impairment underpinned most of the pedestrian fatalities attended by the the Road Traffic Collision Investigators in Northern Ireland between 2008 and 2012.
The findings from the report support the proposition that:
- The visibility of drivers can be impaired due to darkness and glare, this is compounded due to the dark clothing of pedestrians which inhibits the drivers to discern them in darkness.
- The elderly are vulnerable road users because of their frailty and at times inability to understand speed and distance.
- Intoxicated pedestrians are a danger to themselves because of the levels of alcohol ingested which cause these pedestrians to be unstable and incoherent.
The Road Traffic Collision Investigation Unit attends road traffic fatalities in Northern Ireland. Over the five year period between 2008 and 2012, n.8 investigators attended the collision scenes analysed in this report.
The findings of these reports are supported by n.37 Coroners’ Verdicts.
- In n.30 (55%) of cases the pedestrians wore dark clothing.
- The majority of collisions occurred in darkness n.35 (64%), while the remaining n.20 (36%) collisions occurred during daylight.
- In n.50 (91%) of the incidents, the vehicle was not driven at excessive speed (over the speed limit).
- Children aged between one to 16 years represented the smallest group (12.7%); the group representing adults (including one 17 year old) total n.31/55 (56.4%) of the fatalities.
- There were n.17/55 (31%) elderly pedestrians (aged over 70 years) involved in collisions with vehicles. In n.5 cases, the elderly pedestrians (n.2 females and n.3 males) crossed the road in front of a lorry.
- There were n.17/55 pedestrians (31%) who were found to have alcohol in their blood at the time of the collision. All n.17 cases occurred during the hours of darkness. The average Blood Alcohol Content was 232 mg per 100 ml.
The study and analysis of the findings of the Road Traffic Collision Investigation Unit – Forensic Science Northern Ireland and a selection of Coroners’ reports was carried out by Elaine Hardy PhD, Research Analyst and supported by the Rees Jeffreys Road Fund.
Northern Ireland Pedestrian Fatality Report 2014 – pdf 2.84mb – Click Here
Dr Elaine Hardy and author of the pedestrian fatality report spoke at the Road Safety GB Conference on 26th November 2014.
The National Road Safety Conference 2014 was hosted by Road Safety GB South East Region at The Grand in Brighton.
The conference comprised six sessions covering: Working in Partnership, Social Media, Automated driving, Cycling, Question Time and Topical Topics.
For the first time a fringe programme ran alongside the main conference.
There was an exhibition showcase which included various road safety related exhibiters.
Dr Hardy used her conference presentation to outline her findings.
Dr Elaine Hardy, Right to Ride
As a research analyst and project manager, Elaine Hardy has carried out a number of road safety related studies between 2007 and 2014, including: the Northern Ireland Pedestrian Fatality Report 2014 (the subject of this presentation); and the Northern Ireland Motorcycle Fatality Report 2012, an in-depth study of 41 motorcycle fatalities in Northern Ireland.
The Northern Ireland Pedestrian Fatality Report 2014 is an in-depth study of 55 pedestrian fatalities, for which Dr Hardy was given access to the case files of the Forensic Science Northern Ireland Road Traffic Investigation Team and the Coroner’s Service, Northern Ireland.
The report highlights three areas of concern – visibility, the elderly and intoxicated pedestrians – all of which are underpinned by cognitive impairment. Dr Hardy will use her conference presentation to outline her findings.
Prior to moving to the road safety sector, Elaine Hardy was an automotive data analyst. Her work involved gathering data and analyzing the distribution and cross-border movement of cars and vans in both Eastern and Western Europe. This led her to take an interest in the movement of stolen vehicles in Europe and and she has authored numerous reports and papers and worked with European and British authorities on projects and studies relating to vehicle crime.
Details Road Safety GB – Click Here